SERVPRO Releases Safety Report for Homeowners Experiencing Nipomo Water Damage
Professional fire and water damage experts, SERVPRO, this week outline five measures homeowners can take to prevent injury or further damage once a water damage incident has occurred.
Nipomo, CA —The cleanup and restoration specialists at SERVPRO have released a recent report detailing five ways to salvage flooring, appliances, and fixtures once Nipomo water damage has occurred. Homeowners can prevent excessive damage to their flooring and appliances by following these five simple tips.
To view the report, click here (link), or see below:
5 Things Homeowners Should Avoid if Flooding Occurs
Water damage can have a lasting effect on one’s home, though there are ways to avoid further damage and injury.
Don’t leave wet clothing or fabrics on the ground
Make sure to pick up anything which has been soaked with water and hang items to dry as soon as possible. If soaking wet clothing is left on flooring it can encourage mold the growth of mold and excess water can damage hardwood floors.
Don’t leave printed materials on wet carpet or flooring
Anything which contains ink will bleed onto other surfaces and can permanently stain flooring and carpets. This includes magazines, books, newspapers and colored fabrics. Discard any materials which have been completely damaged.
Don’t use a household vacuum cleaner to remove water
A household vacuum is meant to remove dry debris, not water or wet items. Water can damage a vacuum cleaner rendering it unusable for future use. Additionally, using a household vacuum cleaner to remove water is dangerous as electrocution may occur. It is best to let a professional, like SERVPRO, handle water damage cleanup.
Don’t use household appliances
If the water damage is so extensive that it has reached the cables and outlets of appliances, avoid using these appliances. Electrocution is possible if water damage is present in any situation. Appliances include televisions, computers, and portable electric heaters. It’s best to wait for a professional to give the go-ahead before continuing use of appliances in the area.
Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if water damage has affected the ceiling
If the ceiling has been damaged by water, avoid turning on any appliances which are attached to it. Ceiling fixtures include lighting fixtures and ceiling fans. If water has come into contact with wiring or the fixture itself there is a possibility of further damage to the home and possible electrocution.
Following these suggestions can mean the difference between safety and danger, as well as complete loss of the water damaged area. The professionals at SERVPRO regularly repair and restore Nipomo water damage and are available 24/7 to lend a helping hand.
For emergency services, contact a local SERVPRO franchise at (805) 541-1271.
SERVPRO in Nipomo
260 N Mallagh St, Nipomo, CA 93444