Mold Prevention Tips for Commercial Buildings
Any type of structure can get mold, so commercial buildings are the most critical because it has volumes of people walking in and out. Mold can affect the quality of air that runs through the structure, which why it is necessary for mold to be quickly re-mediated. Mold growth will depend on the amount of moisture that exists in the environment. Commercial buildings are recommended to use professional cleaning services like SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande, to properly clean and re-mediate the area. Here are some tips to keep your commercial building mold free:
- Controlling humidity levels inside
- Fixing any source of water leak
- Cleaning and drying after any water damages
To find more information on mold you can visit:
Call SERVPRO when you see this at your commercial building.
At SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande, we get a lot of commercial projects. We understand how the property’s appearance can affect your current and future clients, which is why SERVPRO is always ready to help restore any size commercial building. There is no job too small or too big for SERVPRO.
Here are some scenarios of when you would need professional services like SERVPRO’s. Our professionals will help make it "Like it never even happened"
- Water Damages- even the smallest water damages can have secondary effects like bacterial growth.
- Fire Damages – the air we breathe can have major effects in our health, it is important to thoroughly clean and wipe any fire residue.
- Mold Remediation- mold can cause major health issues to anyone who comes in contact with the property.
You can check out our before and after pictures of our jobs at https://www.SERVPROpismobeacharroyogrande.com/before-after-photos
Any Commercial Emergency, SERVPRO Will Be There
Cleaning and restoring commercial properties require a unique blend of training, experience, and equipment. SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande has the resources and expertise to give you excellent results while minimizing the disruption to your clients. We can help make it “Like it never even happened.” No matter the size of the job, SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande has the knowledge to ensure that it is done completely and with the thoroughness that you have come to expect from the SERVPRO name.
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
Local Commercial Building In Need of SERVPRO Services
When we visit your business after any emergency loss, we will scope the effected areas to determine the extent of the loss. We will always pretest affected surfaces to determine the type of damages and which products will help us recover the area most effectively. We will walk you step by step of what will need to happen in order to restore your business. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore any size damage. If a fire/water/storm has damaged your business, call us right away at 805-473-0772. SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande will treat you with empathy and respect, and your property with care.
Resources for creating a home fire escape plan
Firefighter put out a house fire. All that is left of the home is Fire Damage that SERVPRO of Arroyo Grande will clean up and fix.
Prevention is one best defense against a fire and the other defense is a well thought-out and well-rehearsed home fire escape plan. Always ready to help restore fire damage, Arroyo Grande SERVPRO specialists also believe that keeping friends, family and our neighbors safe from loss due to fire is a priority.
In the event of a fire, the best defense is to get out of the house immediately! The best way for everyone to get out is to have an escape plan that the entire family has practiced over and over.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has provided the following tips for a home fire safety and escape plan:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of the home. Large homes may need more than one alarm per level. Include the garage. The NFPA recommends smoke alarms in every sleeping room as well as hallways.
- Involve every family member in making the plan. Walk through the home and identify all possible exits and escape routes.
- Draw a floor plan of the home and mark two ways out of each room, including windows and doors. Make sure escape routes are clear and doors and windows can be opened easily. Make sure security bars are equipped with an emergency release.
- Choose an outside meeting place that is a safe distance from the house and include the location in the escape plan.
- Make sure your street number is clearly visible from the road or street.
- Call 911 immediately to report the fire, either from a cell phone or a neighbor’s phone.
- Include infants, pets and family members with mobility issues in the plan.
- Make sure guests know the escape routes.
- Conduct fire drills to help everyone remember the plan.
Fire escape planning resources
The NFPA website provides a variety of free escape planning tools, including an escape grid to help you plan escape routes and a safety tip sheet.
Local resources include your local fire department. Most city and rural fire departments and forestry divisions have literature and programs to help the community prepare fire and emergency escape plans. Ask if your local fire department has a community outreach officer who can help you review your plan.
Homeowner and renters insurance companies may also have planning tools. Check with your agent or insurance company.
Prevention is the best defense. Ask your local fire department to help identify fire hazards and for advice for the best way to remove them.
How SERVPRO can help
SERVPRO of Arroyo Grande is a fire damage removal resource and we can also help with removing and disposing of hazardous materials that may be fire or health hazards. Call us today at (805) 473-0772 to discuss removing hazardous materials or restoring water, mold, or fire damage.
SERVPRO, Pismo Beach, Water Damage Specialists, Report ‘What To Do When Mold Is Discovered
Mold discovered behind laundry room appliances
Mold might show up on kitchen or bathroom grout once in a while and this is generally safe to clean. It is the persistent mold on walls, under cabinets, and in damp places that the SERVPRO Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande specialists want the public to be very cautious about.
Mold is usually green or black in color, and has a musty smell. Mold grows from spores that easily become airborne and the spores can be inhaled contributing to possible health problems. For this reasons, Mark Powers, owner of SERVPRO Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande recommends people use caution even when cleaning a small amount of mold.
“Use a good antimicrobial. Spray it onto the mold and surrounding area, but before doing that be sure to put on a facemask and rubber gloves. Scrub the mold away with a brush or disposable rag,” said Powers. “But, when there is a chronic mold problem, or mold is present in large amounts, there may be a water damage problem that needs professional attention.”
Mold spores exist naturally almost everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Professionals, trained in the science and effective removal and control of mold, are best equipped to locate the source of persistent mold and remove the moisture or water damage that is the breeding ground for mold growth.
Excessive moisture and standing water are common sources of mold growth in buildings. Mold growth can start within 48 hours. By the time mold appears, the moisture may have already soaked into the structure, even masonry, enough that industrial fans and other drying methods are required. Left long enough, water and moisture will cause structural damage, requiring comprehensive restoration or even expensive reconstruction. The SERVPRO Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande professionals are the experts locating the source of mold and water damage, and removing and repairing the damage.
A phone call to SERVPRO Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande is the first step to addressing mold in a home, business, or any other structure. Upon arrival, the technician carefully inspects the property for signs of mold. Mold feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view and various technologies are used to find the mold and hidden water sources.
The remaining mold and water damage removal process includes:
- Containing the spread of the mold using advanced containment procedures to isolate the contaminated area and keep mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process.
- Filtering and “scrubbing” the air using specialized filtration equipment that captures mold spores out of the air.
- Removing the mold and mold-infected materials with antifungal and antimicrobial treatments and removing and properly disposing of mold infected materials. Removal is essential for preventing the mold from returning.
- Cleaning any items that may have become infested with mold such as carpets, curtains, clothing, furniture, and even collectibles.
- Restoring everything the mold infected to the original condition. Restoration can range from minor repairs to major reconstruction, depending on the degree of mold and water damage.
Comprehensive mold remediation and water damage repair is not a task that home and property owners are equipped, or even trained, to undertake. The professionals from the Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande water damage company, SERVPRO, have the required training, safety gear, and equipment and supplies to safely and effectively remove mold and the sources of mold growth. Protect the health of family and other building occupants by calling the professionals to remove mold.
This press release is by Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande SEO company Access Publishing, 806 9th Street, #2D, Paso Robles, CA 93446. (805) 226-9890.
SERVPRO, Pismo Beach Fire Damage Specialists, Helps Clients Navigate Insurance Claims
fire damage pismo beach
When a disaster of any size hits the family home or business, working through insurance claims can seem like one more overwhelming task. The local specialists in restoring fire damage, Pismo Beach SERVPRO, is particularly prepared to help victims with both the insurance claim process and the property restoration process.
SERVPRO, as a national company, has gained a unique standing with the insurance industry by:
- The most extensive performance guidelines in the restoration industry
- A rigorous corporate training program that meets the stringent certification standards of the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC).
- The SERVPRO national Claims Information Center (CIC) providing end-to-end insurance claim assistance. Clients have online access to the claim process and can monitor their claims from start to completion.
The insurance claim process is started at the time the local SERVPRO professional responds to the site of the damage. Even though the client can monitor the claim, the local SERVPRO staff remains informed and available to answer questions and follow-up when necessary. When it comes to repairing and restoring damage to home or business, the local SERVPRO Pismo Beach fire damage specialists have the advantages of national guidelines and IICRC certified training and the dedication to pass these advantages on to clients.
As a leader in water and fire damage cleanup and restoration, the SERVPRO goal is to restore the property owner’s peace of mind, the property to “Like it never happened,” condition, and offer the insurance company competitive advantages that result in trouble-free paid claims.
Adhering to the principle of timely mitigation and IICRC standards result in lower claims costs while delivering the best service possible to clients.
SERVPRO restoration professionals are specialists, trained to identify, repair, and restore a wide range of damage resulting from events like storms, flooding, sewage leaks, water or fire damage, mold, crime scenes, hoarding, and biohazard spills. The technicians have all of the industrial-level equipment, supplies, and technologies to safely clean and restore property and get the occupants back home as soon as possible.
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande is a local specialist for restoring properties after floods, leaks, and any other event including fire damage in Pismo Beach or the entire California Central Coast.
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach /Arroyo Grande1423 Raspberry AveArroyo Grande, CA 93420
This press release is by Arroyo Grande SEO company Access Publishing, 806 9th Street, #2D, Paso Robles, CA 93446. (805) 226-9890.
SERVPRO, Arroyo Grande Fire Damage Specialists, Report ‘The Fire Dangers From Hoarding’
Fire Damage pismo beach
Hoarding not only creates stress for the family of the hoarder, it creates a long list of health and safety problems, including increased danger of fire. The Arroyo Grande fire damage specialists from SERVPRO have prepared the following report about fire and other dangers of hoarding.
Not only is hoarding unsafe and unhealthy, it against the law in most jurisdictions. One of the problems is that the activity can go undetected for years, and until the hoarding spills out into the yard, or emergency services has to enter the home, no one realizes how drastic the circumstances have become.
Hoarding was classified as a mental disorder in 2013 and is a difficult disorder to treat because most people who suffer from hoarding don’t realize they have a problem. Their behavior presents a difficult road for family and mental health professionals to navigate. Along with the heartbreak that comes with confronting the hoarder, there is the overwhelming sight of rooms and hallways clogged with piles of trash, clothing, rotted food, and even animal feces.
The first reaction is to put on rubber gloves, grab a mask and trash bag and start removing piles of trash, but this is the time to call the experts to clean the property, remove biohazards, and reduce the potential of fire damage. Arroyo Grande SERVPRO owner, Mark Powers, said, “The appropriate training, equipment, and safety gear is critical when cleaning up a home where hoarding has been going on. No one really knows what you are going to find and knowing how to handle a wide range of biohazardous material is a very important personal and public safety issue.”
The list of hazards is not limited to the danger of stacks of boxes falling and injuring someone. The potential hazards are beyond what can be safely handled with drugstore rubber gloves, masks, and rain boots. Hazards include:
- Air contaminated by mold spores, rat and other feces, and stenches arising from a variety of decaying material, including food.
- Flammable, caustic, and potential explosive substances. These materials are not always in the original containers and labels can be missing.
- Blood, vomit, and needles, and other bodily fluids can be disease-ridden and expose the unprepared handler to a variety of infectious diseases. Additionally, unattended bodily fluids attract bacteria and other health threats.
- Urine not only stinks, the ammonia exposure can cause upper respiratory problems and prolong exposure can cause a range of symptoms and health conditions.
- The piles of trash and garbage attract vermin, rodents, wild animals and insects. All of these have the potential of carrying bacteria, allergens and even viral infections.
- Pharmaceuticals, prescription or illegal, can cause health dangers. Some medications become more toxic over time and when past their expiration date, exposure to them is a health hazard.
Once the trash and debris is removed, the job of deep cleaning and restoring begins. Locating and removing the sources of odors, drying water damaged furniture, flooring and walls, detecting mold, especially the highly toxic black mold, and removing the mold damage and identifying wood rot are all tasks for which SERVPRO technicians are trained and equipped. The SERVPRO crew works quickly and efficiently to make the property clean and safe as soon as possible.
Anyone who suspects a family member or friend might be hoarding and living in an unsafe environment should contact the appropriate medical or mental health professional as soon as possible. No matter how tempted, do not try to sort through the trash and debris, or attempt to clean or remove anything. Limit exposure to the inside of the house to short intervals and wear protective gear.
When the occupants have been moved to safety, and any public safety officials who may be involved declare the home ready for debris removal and cleaning, call SERVPRO to get the home cleaned and restored.
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach /Arroyo Grande
1279 W. Stowell Road, Suite C
Santa Maria, CA 93458
This press release is by Arroyo Grande SEO company Access Publishing, 806 9th Street, #2D, Paso Robles, CA 93446. (805) 226-9890.
What does it mean to be a SERVPRO expert?
SERVPRO franchise owners and employees are trained to the rigorous standards of the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). The SERVPRO Arroyo Grande fire damage professionals are proud to bring the quality of these standards to clients. Training is provided by the SERVPRO corporation, through the national training program. The training includes:
- Employee certification training that includes modules for: crew training, fire restoration, water restoration, and carpet and upholstery training. The comprehensive training prepares SERVPRO employees to identify and restore damage caused by fire, water and mold, sewage spills, and accidents, natural disasters, storms and floods that damage homes and buildings.
- Franchise training, designed primarily for new franchise owners, but available to every SERVPRO employee. The program covers all aspects of restoring water, fire, and mold damage and restoring carpets and upholstery to “like it never happened condition.”
- e-Learning is a web based program for ongoing self-paced continuing training. Ongoing training keeps SERVPRO professionals up-to-date on the latest restoration technologies and provides advanced training.
SERVPRO Industries, Inc. Has been refining the mitigation and restoration standards since 1967. SERVPRO has been operating a National Training Center since 1992 and teaching the highest standards of restoration and mitigation skills to Franchise Owners and insurance and industry employees.
The IICRC is an American National Standards Institute (ANSI) member and accredited standards developer. The ANSI standards followed by the IICRC are responsible for overseeing national standards. Many of the same standards followed by SERVPRO have also been adopted by as code or regulations by local, state and federal agencies. The standards are considered state-of-the-art in the area of contamination control.
All of this means, that when someone picks up the phone and calls their local SERVPRO, like the Arroyo Grande fire damage specialists, the client can be assured they will get the highest level of attention and restoration to their home or business.
The inspection, and cleaning and restoration processes are the latest state-of-the-art cleanup and restoration processes in the industry, while providing the highest level of protection for the consumer and safety standards for everyone.
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande is the local company to call.
Cleaning up after a fire—hire experts or do it yourself?
Fire Damage Pismo Beach
It’s one thing to clean and repaint part of a wall after a small kitchen fire that was put out quickly with no major damage. It’s entirely another thing to attempt to salvage personal belongings and cleanup after a major fire. SERVPRO, the experts in restoring belongings and properties after fire damage in Pismo Beach, have some experienced advice about restoring and repairing property after a fire.
- Safety first—always
- Surveying the damage
- Removing and saving personal items
- Cleaning up, repairing and rebuilding
Get out away from a fire immediately. Get everyone, including your pets, away and to safety and call 911. If your attempts to put out a small fire are not working and the fire grows, get everyone to safety.
Every local fire and public safety department has fire safety tips available either online or by stopping by the nearest fire station. Get a copy of the tips and make sure everyone in your family or office knows and practices the procedures.
Do not attempt to enter the property until the fire marshal has said it is safe to do so.
Surveying the damage
Surveying the damage s is a traumatic experience. The urge to get inside to see what can be saved is a strong urge and this is where the experts come in. It is not a good idea to enter fire damaged structures alone, even after the fire department says the fire is out.
First of all, there can be structural damage that can put you in danger. Secondly, hard hats and other safety gear is is an absolute must, including masks to filter soot, smoke, and other airborne contaminants.
The experts from SERVPRO are trained to assess the damage and work with home and business owners, fire departments and insurance companies to accurately assess the damage, determine what can be saved, the best restoration methods, and to cleanup water and fire damage in Pismo Beach or anywhere on the Central Coast.
Removing and saving personal items
A thorough survey of the damage with a SERVPRO expert is going to help you determine which items can be saved and restored, and how to safely remove them, or at least protect them until they can be removed.
There is a strong possibility that the urge to start cleaning can damage something that could have been professionally cleaned and restored. Items that to the inexperienced eye seem beyond saving, might be seen differently by an experienced SERVPRO professional and that family heirloom can be saved after all.
Cleaning up, repairing and rebuilding
Cleaning up the damage can involve everything from removing smoke damage, cleaning walls, carpets, drapes, removing and cleaning personal items, removing water and mold, to demolishing the structure or parts of the structure.
SERVPRO professionals can identify what can be saved, cleaned, and restored and what needs to be rebuilt.
SERVPRO focuses on restoring over replacing. Restoring is less costly that replacement, and certainly less costly than demolishing and rebuilding. The SERVPRO “restore first” standard also gets homes and businesses back to pre-fire conditions faster and with less disruption.
SERVPRO is with you every step of the way
“Like it never happened.” is more that the SERVPRO motto; it is the company’s top goal. Every SERVPRO professional is dedicated to restoring both property and the lives of customers like the fire never happened.
Contact SERVPRO for Pismo Beach, Arroyo Grande, or anywhere on the Central Coast for help restoring your life, home and possessions after a fire.