Recent General Posts
What does it mean to be a SERVPRO expert?
SERVPRO franchise owners and employees are trained to the rigorous standards of the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). The SERVPRO Arroyo Grande fire damage professionals are proud to bring the quality of these standards to clients. Training is provided by the SERVPRO corporation, through the national training program. The training includes:
- Employee certification training that includes modules for: crew training, fire restoration, water restoration, and carpet and upholstery training. The comprehensive training prepares SERVPRO employees to identify and restore damage caused by fire, water and mold, sewage spills, and accidents, natural disasters, storms and floods that damage homes and buildings.
- Franchise training, designed primarily for new franchise owners, but available to every SERVPRO employee. The program covers all aspects of restoring water, fire, and mold damage and restoring carpets and upholstery to “like it never happened condition.”
- e-Learning is a web based program for ongoing self-paced continuing training. Ongoing training keeps SERVPRO professionals up-to-date on the latest restoration technologies and provides advanced training.
SERVPRO Industries, Inc. Has been refining the mitigation and restoration standards since 1967. SERVPRO has been operating a National Training Center since 1992 and teaching the highest standards of restoration and mitigation skills to Franchise Owners and insurance and industry employees.
The IICRC is an American National Standards Institute (ANSI) member and accredited standards developer. The ANSI standards followed by the IICRC are responsible for overseeing national standards. Many of the same standards followed by SERVPRO have also been adopted by as code or regulations by local, state and federal agencies. The standards are considered state-of-the-art in the area of contamination control.
All of this means, that when someone picks up the phone and calls their local SERVPRO, like the Arroyo Grande fire damage specialists, the client can be assured they will get the highest level of attention and restoration to their home or business.
The inspection, and cleaning and restoration processes are the latest state-of-the-art cleanup and restoration processes in the industry, while providing the highest level of protection for the consumer and safety standards for everyone.
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande is the local company to call.
Solutions for unidentified odors in the home
remove bad odor from home
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach, the water damage experts, know that odors that linger in the house can come from any number of causes. Pets, pet odors clinging to upholstery and rugs, pet accidents, water damage creating mold or wood rot, clogged HVAC systems, musty odors when the house is closed up due to wet or cold weather, sewage leaks under the house and any variety of other contributing factors.
Urine is common source of lingering odors. Urine from accidents can soak through the carpet and stay in the pad and create a persistent odor. Pets, especially will revisit the same locations to relieve themselves, or even just mark. Even though the carpet is shampooed and rugs washed regularly, the odor is only reduced so that it is not detected by the human nose. The family dog or cat, or a visiting pet, can still smell it and will revisit those spots.
Water damage from slow leaks over time are a common source of mold and odor and might be concentrating inside walls where they can only be detected by special equipment, or when the damage is so great to become apparent. Mold and rotted wood can cause structural damage that is expensive to repair.
Clogged HVAC systems, sewage leaks, even leaks that were detected and repaired can contribute to odors. Repairing a leak without looking for wet or damp spots and repairing them can lead to continuing deterioration under cabinets and behind walls.
Some other sources not commonly thought of as contributors include:
- Chimneys with a damaged or missing cap lets in rain, leaves, and other organic material that can contribute to mold.
- The refrigerator drip pan collects condensation and is a breeding ground for mold.
- Washing machine leaks that can damage walls and floors.
- Repairing a roof leak without inspecting for and repairing moisture and water damage.
- Storing toys in the toy box without examining them for moisture first can contribute to mold, and damp stuffed toys that get musty and moldy.
- Old mattresses, old carpeting, even in a pet-free home, collect dust over time and can add a musty smell to the house.
- That favorite old sofa with all the soda spills and years of snacks that have been cleaned out of the cushions.
When you have been cleaning and deodorizing faithfully, and still can’t locate the source of the odor, call the SERVPRO Pismo Beach the water damage and odor detection specialists. SERVPRO specialists are experts in identifying and eliminating offensive odors.
Masking odors with the usual household cleaners delivers only temporary results, and for some odors, isn’t effective at all. Masking the odor is not the solution, but removing it is. SERVPRO specialists have the equipment and supplies to completely remove the odor.
Give SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande a call today.
SERVPRO, Pismo Beach, Water Damage Specialists, Report ‘What To Do When A Skunk Gets Under The House’
Skunks, like a lot of wildlife, have adapted to civilization and can be seen wandering through neighborhoods, usually at night. They are usually not a problem unless one becomes trapped under the house then “the smell can get into everything else in the house,” said Mark Powers, owner of the SERVPRO Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande water damage company.
Most of the time, unless the family dog gets involved, skunks come and go with only a slight trace of their aromatic presence. A skunk living on the property, especially under the house, can leave an odor that just does not go away. A skunk that gets under the house and sprays is most likely going to create an odor that seems to invade everything in the house.
Skunk odor is not easy to get rid of—just ask anyone whose dog stuck its nose too close to a skunk! Skunk spray is produced by the animal’s anal glands and contains oily volatile chemical compounds. The stinky compounds are primarily thiols and thioacetates, both rich in sulphur. Sulphur atoms have a way of bonding to other atoms and this is what makes the smell so hard to eliminate.
The good news, if there is any, is that once sprayed, it can take up to a week for the skunk to replenish its spray. But that doesn’t always mean there are no concerns for another week. Male skunks, spray during the mating season from February to March. Apparently the guy skunks think the spray discourages other males while attracting females? Then, the female has 4 to 6 kits that stay with her for up to 8 months, reportedly spraying each other just for fun. So, there are a lot of reasons a skunk can stink up the property and contents of the house.
So, how to get the skunk smell out of the house? Tomato juice is pretty much a myth, plus no one wants tomato juice on the carpet on purpose. Powers, the Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande water damage expert with SERVPRO, said, “Getting the smell off the dog is one thing, completely deodorizing the contents of a house requires a completely different approach.”
SERVPRO specialists get the house smelling a fresh as new again. First, the company helps start a homeowner’s insurance claim and helps monitor that claim through the entire process. The entire deodorizing process includes:
- Identifying everything that needs to be treated, including furniture, carpet, curtains, clothing and anything else the skunk oil has landed on. Insulation and the space under the house may also have been affected.
- Treating the affected items. SERVPRO uses proven technology for deodorization that completely eliminates the smell instead of just masking it. The process is relatively quick, but may require the family be out of the home for a day or two.
- Fully ventilating the house after treatment to be sure the family returns to a fresh home.
Upon discovering a skunk or a family of skunks has invaded the property, SERVPRO recommends the following steps:
- Call SERVPRO to get the deodorization and insurance claim process started.
- Call animal control or wildlife rescue to get the skunks removed.
- Get any pets that have been sprayed cleaned up and deodorized. Veterinarians or groomers can get the smell off pets or recommend the appropriate solution for doing it yourself.
- If pets have not been sprayed, contain them so they don’t go skunk hunting.
- Consider a short family vacation if the smell is unbearable. Pack washable changes of clothes in plastic bags to be washed before wearing.
This press release is by Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande SEO company Access Publishing, 806 9th Street, #2D, Paso Robles, CA 93446. (805) 226-9890.
The connection between water damage and fire hazards
Water can extinguish fire, right? So how can water damage be a fire hazard? Mark Powers, the owner of SERVPRO, specializing in restoring fire damage in Pismo Beach and Arroyo Grande, wants people to know there is a real connection between water damage and fire hazards.
Water that damages walls and other parts of buildings, whether from a slow leak or flooding, can also damage electrical wiring and other electrical components. Everyone knows water and electricity don’t mix. The results of combining water and electricity can be anything from sparks and short circuits, to electrocution, to electric wires breaking and igniting wood, drywall, furnishings or surrounding grass and other plants.
These dangers are the reason that one of the first things to do when water damage is detected is to shut off the power. When an event such as a leaking roof, or leaking pipes are discovered, it is usually fairly easy to cut off the power at the breaker box. But, sometimes a portion of the house floods too quickly and then the best thing to do is get everyone, including pets, out of the building and call emergency services.
By the time leaking roofs or pipes are discovered they have usually been leaking for some time, long enough to cause water damage. Electric wires that are exposed to leaks can develop mold and corrosion, shorting the circuit and cause sparks that can start a fire.
Powers recommends that homeowners and building maintenance managers periodically inspect for leaks.
- Some water meters have leak detectors and checking the water meter is one of the quickest ways to determine if there is a leak in the plumbing
- Check plumbing fixtures like faucets, toilets and under sink pipes for leaks
- Check under the house for any signs of standing water or moisture that indicate a leak
- Check the roof and ceiling crawl space for signs of water damage or mold
- Check ceiling light fixtures for signs of water damage or mold
- Check walls for signs of water damage, and electrical wall outlets for signs of water damage
Also perform regular fire prevention inspections of buildings and grounds. Water and electricity mixing are not the only combinations that can cause a fire. Faulty wiring to outbuildings or in landscape lighting can be just as likely to cause a fire whether water is present or not.
Prevention is always the best strategy but in the event of water, mold or fire damage, Pismo Beach’s local SERVPRO is ready to make all of the needed repairs and restorations. In the event of an emergency, call the company’s 24-hour emergency number to get recovery and repairs started. SERVPRO can also help you with insurance claims and work with the insurance company.
For Immediate Service in Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande, Call SERVPRO
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – (805)922-5457
Whether your [[City or County Name]] home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business.
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
We are located at:
1423 Raspberry AveArroyo Grande, CA 93420United States
SERVPRO® Pledges Ongoing Support to the American Red Cross Disaster
American Red Cross
Red Cross recognizes SERVPRO for their contribution to disaster
preparedness and recovery efforts
The American Red Cross recently recognized SERVPRO®, a cleanup and restoration company, for participation in its Disaster Responder Program1. As a Disaster Responder Program member, SERVPRO pledges a donation to the Red Cross in advance of disasters, allowing the organization to respond quickly and effectively to nearly 66,000 disasters annually, most of which are home fires. SERVPRO is entering their third year of partnership with the Red Cross; their donations to the organization to date exceed one million dollars.
According to statistics cited by the Red Cross, seven people die in a home fire each day in the U.S. Aiming to reduce deaths and injuries caused by home fires by 25 percent by the end of 2019, the Red Cross launched a Home Fire Campaign in October of 2014. The support of SERVPRO and other Disaster Responder Program members allows the Red Cross to pursue their home fire prevention goals while they continue to provide critical services to disaster victims.
One of the reasons home fires account for the majority of the disasters the Red Cross responds to annually is that the risk for home fires exists all year long, said Joseph Powers, owner of SERVPRO of San Luis Obispo. Statistics compiled by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)2 show the majority of home fires are related to unattended cooking accidents and cooking is something most people do every day.
Although SERVPROs business is helping business and home owners recover from fire, flood and other disasters, the company and its franchisees actively support disaster preparedness education, including fire prevention efforts. When disaster does strike, their relationships with major insurance companies combined with industry-leading job-management technology help smooth the path to rebuilding and restoration for home and business owners affected by the unexpected.
SERVPROs commitment to the Red Cross Disaster Responder Program means that, when disaster strikes, homeowners can count on the Red Cross to address their immediate needs and supply essential services, said Powers.
Once the immediate emergency is under control, homeowners can count on the expertise of restoration specialists at SERVPRO of San Luis Obispo to help them restore their property and move forward with their lives.
Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO® Franchise System is a leader and provider of fire and water cleanup and restoration services, and mold mitigation and remediation. SERVPRO's professional services network of more than 1,700 individually owned and operated Franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar large-loss events. Providing coverage in the United States and
Canada, the SERVPRO® System has established relationships with major insurance companies and commercial clients, as well as individual homeowners.
We are located at: 1423 Raspberry AveArroyo Grande, CA 93420United States