Solutions for unidentified odors in the home
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach, the water damage experts, know that odors that linger in the house can come from any number of causes. Pets, pet odors clinging to upholstery and rugs, pet accidents, water damage creating mold or wood rot, clogged HVAC systems, musty odors when the house is closed up due to wet or cold weather, sewage leaks under the house and any variety of other contributing factors.
Urine is common source of lingering odors. Urine from accidents can soak through the carpet and stay in the pad and create a persistent odor. Pets, especially will revisit the same locations to relieve themselves, or even just mark. Even though the carpet is shampooed and rugs washed regularly, the odor is only reduced so that it is not detected by the human nose. The family dog or cat, or a visiting pet, can still smell it and will revisit those spots.
Water damage from slow leaks over time are a common source of mold and odor and might be concentrating inside walls where they can only be detected by special equipment, or when the damage is so great to become apparent. Mold and rotted wood can cause structural damage that is expensive to repair.
Clogged HVAC systems, sewage leaks, even leaks that were detected and repaired can contribute to odors. Repairing a leak without looking for wet or damp spots and repairing them can lead to continuing deterioration under cabinets and behind walls.
Some other sources not commonly thought of as contributors include:
- Chimneys with a damaged or missing cap lets in rain, leaves, and other organic material that can contribute to mold.
- The refrigerator drip pan collects condensation and is a breeding ground for mold.
- Washing machine leaks that can damage walls and floors.
- Repairing a roof leak without inspecting for and repairing moisture and water damage.
- Storing toys in the toy box without examining them for moisture first can contribute to mold, and damp stuffed toys that get musty and moldy.
- Old mattresses, old carpeting, even in a pet-free home, collect dust over time and can add a musty smell to the house.
- That favorite old sofa with all the soda spills and years of snacks that have been cleaned out of the cushions.
When you have been cleaning and deodorizing faithfully, and still can’t locate the source of the odor, call the SERVPRO Pismo Beach the water damage and odor detection specialists. SERVPRO specialists are experts in identifying and eliminating offensive odors.
Masking odors with the usual household cleaners delivers only temporary results, and for some odors, isn’t effective at all. Masking the odor is not the solution, but removing it is. SERVPRO specialists have the equipment and supplies to completely remove the odor.